Sunday, March 30, 2008

My home in my heart. :)

So I went to Cannon Beach on Friday and Saturday. I had a really nice time. I can't believe it's been a week since I have been home. I learned two things while in Portland and Cannon Beach: I don't like Portland that much and I still absolutely love Cannon Beach.
Portland has this whole scene of people called hipsters and they are so annoying at times. They all wear grungy clothes listen to depressing music and never shower. At the beginning of the week I found myself inexplicable being drawn to this crowd of people. I wanted to fit in with everyone in the area. Then I realized I love being clean and happy.

The beach was as usual refreshing and relaxing. I miss the slow pace that Cannon Beach has. It has a whole flow of it's own and you either adjust or go crazy with boredom. At the end of my time at Ecola I found it most natural to laze about the beach. When I got back to real life I found it hard to adjust. Even now I hate having a jammed packed day of things to do. Pre - Ecola I was always on time or early. I have realized post- Ecola i am chronically late!
Whenever I am down there I feel just a smidgen closer to God. Most likely because that is where I fell in love with Him. My student year I spent it with God. Whether reading my Bible or spending whole days in prayer. What an amazing experience God used to draw me to him. My friend Krista explained Ecola in a way that I really liked. As we sat talking she mused that Ecola didn't make her perfect but rather made her more aware of what was displeasing to God. She compared herself to a clock. "Everything has shifted inside me, my inner workings are changed." I love the imagery she used. During Ecola my insides shifted.I can picture the the knobs and wheels all shifting inside of me slowly. I was also blessed with another year as an office intern. I always tell people that God knew I needed an extra year. A lot of times people think that they choose the interns who are most qualified but, the staff wants students who will grow from the experience. Who will not only encourage the students but will rely on God and not on there own qualifications. I was the test grader. A job that I am not made for. A test grader should be organized and efficient. I am neither. But neverless I was challenged to be an example to the students.
I have to remember though that just because I am out of "The green house" that I am still growing. During Ecola I had this huge spiritual growth spurt. I flourished in an environment away from the world. Who wouldn't right? But now that I am back home I can steadfastly grow closer to my Lord. It is so awesome to even be able to call the God of the Universe "MY LORD"! I am just blown away by that. There may be another time in my life where I will have another growth spurt, but until that time I will, Lord willing, keep growing at a slow and steady pace. Something that is on my heart from time to time is the students that are there now. Maybe while you're reading this pray that God continues to soften their heart towards him and directs where they go as they consider what to do next. Believe me when I tell you it is always a little bit hard to get your footing under you after leaving such a sheltered environment.
When I am trying to convince Chantal to go to Ecola she always patiently reminds me that God doesn't use Ecola in everyone lives. "People can grow outside of Ecola Jenaya" says Chantal, but boy am I thankful that God used Ecola in my life.
Sorry this is kind of long. I always reminisce about my time there after I come home from a visit. Hope you have a better insight a part of my heart. :)
Jenaya

5 comments:

Rachel said...

It really was an amazing year, I'm so glad that you had two! And I'm thrilled that you love to be clean! Way to go Jenaya.

Love, Rachel

Jenaya said...

thank you rachel!

Rachel said...

Hey, you took away my brother's link and the stats link! Why? I want them back please.

Love, Rachel

Sarah said...

Though I've never been to Ecola, I've been to the State Park. And Cannon Beach. Many times. Its one of my favorite places in the world. I can really imagine how God could use such a wonderful place as a "nursery" for growth! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.