Thursday, May 29, 2008

Boast in the Lord.

I feel as if every time I write something new it is an update on my life. But thankfully these last couple of days have been pretty quiet.
Yesterday I was reading First Corinthians. I have been until yesterday just reading the Old Testament. But I was having a hard time getting application out of the genealogies in First Chronicles. :)
I love Paul's letters and especially First and Second Corinthians. I have a reference to First Corinthians tattooed on my arm. Much to the chagrin of many people I know. :)
Well I read the first chapter several times through. "But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen the things that are not so that he may nullify the things that are, so that no man may boast before God. But that by his doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that just as it is written 'Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.'" I Corinthians 1:26-31
If you want to be humbled before the Lord just read that passage a couple times through. In some way it is hard knowing how small you are. But then I also find it reassuring that no matter how small I am God is that much bigger. We don't have to measure ourselves by our own abilities anymore we can measure them through Christ. I just love that in on instance this verse is letting us know how weak we really are but then also challenging us to trust in the power of God.
"The foolishness of God is wiser than men and the weakness of God is stronger than men."I Corinthians 1:25. This whole passage is leading Paul to something in Chapter 2. "And when I come to you brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you but Jesus Christ and Him crucified." All Paul needed to know was Christ. He didn't need to know how to be a great orator or preacher. All he wanted to know was Jesus! I am prayerfully trying to change my focus from myself and my own abilities and rest them all on God and His abilities. I will always fail without him. Not necessarily outwardly but because without Jesus nothing else matters.

I must also give thanks to Jerry Bridges. I am reading The Discilplines of Grace by him. Many of my thoughts are stemming from this book.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.